Now that 2014 is coming to a close, the Northwest Mountain MSDC is wrapping up another successful year. Below are some accomplishments and highlights from this year.
- Our Awards Dinner and Business Conference: On March 6-7, we recognized individuals and companies that work tirelessly to advocate for the development of minority-owned business opportunities. Our silent auction raised more than $13,000 toward our Scholarship Fund.
- Washington State Department of Transportation 2nd Quarter Best Practices Summit: On April 29, we hosted this summit, which addressed best strategies, issues, and solution in supplier diversity. Issues and values discussed included local jobs and money, efficient spending of taxpayer dollars, best value and ease of business, innovation, database tracking, ownership of social responsibility, and sustainable business plans.
- "Winning the Complex Sale" MBE Workshop: On May 28, 10 certified MBEs received training and gained valuable insight into the sales process. Topics included developing a sales strategy that works, effectively identifying potential customers, managing the sales cycle, closing the deal, negotiating and winning deals, communicating with your potential customers and improving your sales skills. For this event, which was held in partnership with Cintas, we received 99 percent positive feedback.
- 18th Annual Scholarship Fundraiser and Silent Auction: On
Aug. 26, 100 players representing Corporate Members and MBEs across the region attended our event at the Golf Club at Newcastle. We raised a total of $14,530 from all fundraising activities associated with the event. All proceeds benefited the Northwest Mountain MSDC Scholarship Fund, which allows MBEs to attend minority business executive programs at UW's Foster School of Business and the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth University.
- Member and MBE Development Day: On Sept. 24, six Members and 33 MBEs participated in the full-day program. Attendees learned about topics including MBE success from a panel of executives, what it takes to build a successful business, marketing strategies, imports and exports, member best practices, and implementing a Tier 2 practice.
- More than 20 events including education programs and workshops for MBEs, network opportunities with Corporate Members, and second tier and MBE to MBE business events.