MBE Certification is an important step for minority business owners seeking to add value to their business.
The Northwest Mountain MSDC offers MBE Certification for minority-owned businesses in the states of Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
What is MBE Certification?
Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) Certification is a nationally recognized validation of your company's status as a minority owned, managed and controlled business.
Our MBE Certification is the platinum standard in supplier diversity. It is distinguished as one of the most trusted and preferred certifications in the business community.
Benefits of MBE Certification
- An authentic document attesting to minority classification as diverse supplier
- Nationally recognized by private and public sector corporations, agencies and nonprofit organizations
- Access to national and regional MBE services
- Eligibility for programs and that may require MBE Certification
- Your business is a for-profit enterprise physically located in the United States or its territories.
- The minority owner(s) of the business are U.S. citizens.
- Your business is at least 51% ethnic minority owned.
- The minority owner(s) of the business must be active in management and able to demonstrate control of the business.
Definition of Minority Owner
For the purposes of NMSDC's program (by which standards the MBE Certification is provided), a minority owner is an individual from the following ethic minority groups:
- Native American
- Asian American (Asian-Indian included)
Become a Certified MBE
The MBE Certification process begins with an online application. Qualified applicants must submit required and supporting documentation, followed by an assessment and a site visit. The estimated processing time is 45 days.
To apply for MBE Certification, your headquarters must be located in one of the following states: Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. For all other states, please refer to the NMSDC Regional Affiliate list for the appropriate Council.
The minority business owner(s) must be named the main applicant(s), and must meet the criteria for MBE Certification.
Both current and historical facts are considered in determining ownership qualifications and owner's participation in the management and operations of the company.
- Complete online application and provide supplemental documents.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee.
- The Council will contact you to ensure the completeness of your application.
- We will arrange a site visit of your company.
- Minority owner(s) will be interviewed during the site visit .
- Your application will be reviewed by a Certification Committee.
- The Board of Directors will vote on the approval of your application.
- If approved, your MBE Certification is valid for one year.
Annual Revenue: Less than $1 Million
New Certification: $300
Annual Revenue: $1-10 Million
New Certification: $550
Annual Revenue: $10-50 Million
New Certification: $850
Annual Revenue: Above $50 Million
New Certification: $950
MBE Certification Workshop
Learn about the ins and outs of Supplier Diversity & MBE Certification
MBE Certification Workshops are scheduled monthly and held at the Northwest Mountain MSDC office in Tukwila, Washington. MBE Certification applicants can attend the workshop in person or participate remotely via Zoom Meeting.
- Introduction to the Northwest Mountain MSDC
- Overview of MBE Certification Process
- Overview of MBE Services
- Question and Answer