Northwest MSDC News
The Northwest Mountain Minority Supplier Development Council (MSDC) held its 2014 Awards Dinner and Business Conference on March 6 - 7, 2014, at the Bellevue Hilton Hotel. The dinner recognized individuals, minority business enterprises (MBEs), corporations, government agencies, and nonprofits who continue to work tirelessly in advocating for the development of minority owned business opportunities. The Silent Auction raised over $13,000 toward the Scholarship Fund, through which the Northwest Mountain MSDC sends minority entrepreneurs to various universities around the country for a business education and network opportunities. With over 50 items for bid, this was the largest auction to date. Separated into 10 categories, the Northwest Mountain MSDC’s prizes, nominees, and winners were as follows:
- Public Agency of the Year: WINNER - Seattle City Light. Also nominated were the City of Seattle Public Utilities, King County, Port of Seattle, and University of Washington.
- Regional Corporation of the Year: WINNER – T-Mobile USA, Inc. Also nominated were Costco, REI (Recreational Equipment, Inc.), Union Bank and Wyndham Worldwide.
- National Corporation of the Year: WINNER - The Boeing Company. Also nominated were BNSF, Microsoft Corporation, Nordstrom, Inc., Starbucks Corporation and State Farm.
- Class I Supplier of the Year: WINNER - Pacific Communications Consultants, Inc. Also nominated were Fena Flowers, Flyright Productions, NW Shredding, Pyramide Productions, and the Russell Group.
- Class II Supplier of the Year: WINNER - Magellan Architects. Also nominated were Idea Entity, Kalani Packaging, LDC, Inc., Piraeus Data, LLC, PMT Solutions, Inc., TD Wang Advertising Group, LLC, TokuSaku Consulting and Trio NAE.
- Class III Supplier of the Year: WINNER - General Microsystems, Inc. Also nominated were A-Check America, Inc. and Cayuse Technologies, Eagle Beverage, Managed Business Solutions, Mobile Integration, PromoShop, Sterling Bank Services, Inc.
- Class IV Supplier of the Year: WINNER - World Wide Technology. Also nominated were Cook Inlet Region, Inc. (CIRI), Guy Brown, PetroCard, Populus Group, and Zones, Inc.
The Northwest Mountain MSDC bestowed advocacy awards upon individuals that displayed true commitment to the development and growth of MBE firms over the year 2013:
- The John A. Gilmore Award goes to a minority business owner who exemplifies the spirit of activism and business expansion by being a strong advocate for fellow MBEs: WINNER - Mr. Shahzad Qadri, Wong Fleming Attorneys at Law. Also nominated was Mr. Frank Lemos, LDC, Inc.
- The Robert R. Ryan Award goes to an individual employed by a Corporate member who exemplifies the commitment and dedication to creating business opportunities and advancing the development of minority business success through business contracts: WINNER - Mr. Robert L. Ryan, first Executive Director of the Council in 1976.
- The Champion Award goes to an individual employed by a Public Agency member who is committed to creating business opportunities and advancing the development of minority businesses through governmental contracting: WINNERS - Mr. Javier Valdez, Seattle City Light and Ms. Vicky Schiantarelli, Seattle Public Utilities. Also nominated was Mr. Servando Patlan, Washington State Department of Enterprise Services.
View photos of the event at https://www.facebook.com/northwestmsdc.